Thursday, October 17, 2013

"Who is my Neighbor?" - with a twist

I am swamped with school and choir work, but I just needed to write this down before I forgot the entire thing, so bear with me.

This past Monday happened to be a gorgeous fall Columbus Day with just enough warmth and a crispy breeze in the air, so after a wonderful night away with my husband, we decided to pick up the kids and head down to Linvilla Orchards, about an hour southwest of here.  For those of you who might not be familiar with this place, it's a wonderful farmer's market that offers fun activities for the entire family.  You can pick your own apples, pumpkins, roast marshmallows, get your face painted, play games, pet the animals, go on hayrides, drink fresh apple cider and eat these amazing cinnamon doughnuts.  Quintessential Fall.

No sooner had we found a parking spot and ambled down the hill to the general store that we found ourselves in a slight traffic jam with all the other folks who had the same idea.  I noticed a group of teenage girls in front of us who weren't moving all too expeditiously, followed by an older Liza Minelli lookalike in shades trailed by a heavyset man.  I am a bit of klutz so I was jostling to keep up with the rest of my own family.

"Excuse me!  Excuse me!"  called the Liza with a Z impersonator.  I glanced her way and swore I looked her right in the eye.  No response.  I continued to move on.  I heard her mumble under her breath, "We say excuse me when we have something to say."  Puzzled, I looked again, and couldn't see her right away, until  I spotted her near the teenagers, figuring she was trying to address them.

Just as we neared the pumpkin displays, "Liza" stops me, saying, "Excuse me.  You trampled my husband, who just had double-knee surgery."

Aghast, I found myself with my hand on my heart, blurting out the first thing that came to me. "Oh, Ma'am, I am so, so very VERY sorry!"

Now, mind you, I don't recall making bodily contact with a living soul since we left the car.  It was cramped, yes, but I am acutely aware of my personal space.  They moved on (without a word from said husband, who didn't look the slightest bit fazed either way), we moved on, and the woulda-coulda-shoulda comeback machine-wheels in my head started turning.

Gee, I could have been extra snarky, saying:

"THAT's funny, what a coincidence! I just had knee surgery, too!"

OR

"I am so sorry, but I just had eye surgery and I couldn't for the life of me see him at all. Please excuse me."

OR

"I am so sorry, how can I help you?"

Really.  It took every bit of moral fortitude to move on from this moment and into my lovely family day off.

How would you have handled this?  What causes people to act this way and what is it they need to hear or have done in such situations?  Do you think I handled this properly?
\
Out of curiosity, I'd love to hear from you.  Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment